Thursday, September 15, 2011

Whose my baby?

The baby of my flock is Echo, a year old blue fronted amazon.


                                                                
"I'm the Baby!"


 This is Echo at 2 months old. He was a very big boy. He still is a big boy. He talks better then most of my parrots. He is quick with a “Hello” and an “I love you” every time he sees me. No matter what he is doing if I come up to his cage he rushes over and reaches out through the bars with his foot trying to catch me and bring me closer for some cuddling.

Echo and a few others spend their summers on my back porch. Why the back porch? The heat and moisture in the air here in Florida helps with their feathers, so in the summer most of my big birds reside on the porch. Out of direct sun and the weather, but where they can enjoy the day. As a result, a lot of them have picked up the calls of our local native birds, which is always amusing.


Photobucket


"I'm a bird dog!"



If anyone knows anything about Florida , it's that we have a lot of summer storms here. Most are mild, but some like to make an impact. The other day we had a pretty good storm brewing so I went to check on Echo and others who reside outside, something I do automatically anytime I hear the wind kicking up. I was a bit surprised to find Echo running around loose! Apparently, the food door was not latched well and it wiggled its self open.

So there I am, on the back porch with a loose amazon, who is not happy with the on coming storm, and I know, with 100% certainty, that I am about to be on the receiving end of one heck of a bite. I have no choice in this, I have to get him off the ground and back into his cage. So I step forward, reach out, tell him to step up and get bit...hard.

I bite back the pain as Echo then guides my hand under him and steps up on me, lets go and proudly announces to the world, “Good Booooy!”

If he were not so darn cute I'd hold a grudge.

~Suzanne


No comments:

Post a Comment