Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Velcro Bird

Cockatoos, also referred to as Toos or Tooies, are what many bird owners refer to as Velcro birds. This is because a Too, once bonded lives for its human. It will want to be on you to snuggle, preen, play with, eat with. You get the point. These birds are lovers to the Nth degree. Because of this they don't like to be left alone and have no understanding to why you don't want to be with them 24/7.

I don't work much outside the house normally. In 2008 I had a part time job in a friends bird store, less then 12 hrs a week so I was still at home 90% of my day. So I thought a Too would be an awesome addition to my flock. And well, when she was just a baby, I fell in love with her as soon as I saw her. I really didn't think much past.. “Ohhhhhh! I wuv her, must have..Must HAVE!” These are the pitfalls of working in a bird store.

Toos are not known for their talking ability. Though, as my searches via YouTube can confirm, some actually talk quite well. Trouble, my aptly named Too, is a mumbler. She is 3 years old now, and has been with me for all but 2 months of her life. She barks at the dogs when they go out side, running along the bottom of her cage woofing at them like she is part of the pack. She makes kissy noises to get me to scratch her. She mumbles, “I love you” and “Hello, Echo.” The latter she picked up because Echo loves to talk to her and that is one of his favorite phrases.


Scratch me!


Trouble is a beautiful Lesser Sulfur-Crested Cockatoo. She requires A LOT of attention, because, she is a typical Too and loves me and needs me and gets very upset if she doesn't see me at all times during the day. This can be a bone of contention sometimes, because she screams really, really loudly. I mentioned before that a Cockatoo's call carries for at least two miles, well I know this from experience. It also reverberates through a house like a train whistle, if that train was parked in your living room and the conductor laid on that whistle like his life depended on it. It's a joy, I tell you.

A note to any future Too owners out there. Baby Toos don't scream. They coo and cuddle and tickle that part of your brain that goes “Awwww” when you see cute kittens on the internet. They trigger that mothering instinct. They cuddle and love and devote their little feathery lives to you faster then you can blink. They are awesome birds, beautiful and graceful. And then between 6 months to a year, when they have you wrapped around their little toe, you walk out of the room and this shriek pierces your brain like a dagger. You are left holding your now bleeding ears wondering who put the bomb siren in your head, and wondering how that sweet little bird made a noise that gosh darn loud.

No comments:

Post a Comment