Tuesday, September 20, 2011

My Competition..



This is Kenya. Kenya is a Congo African Grey and has made it abundantly clear that she is John's bird. Kenya was given to us by a breeder. Her parents stepped on her wrong in the nest and broke both of her legs as a chick. The vet did a good job patching her up, but her feet are a bit splayed and one foot does not grip very well. Because of this, she is not keen on being held and can not perch on our hands like a normal bird.

What she does like is John. She likes to sit with John, talk to John and just be with John. She also enjoys...biting me, yelling at me, pooping on me and just being very clear that if it were not for me, she and my husband would be very happy together.

Being an African Grey, Kenya is a talker. Her favorite voice to mimic is mine. Why me? Because John responds quicker to my voice. Her favorite phrases to date are, “John?”, “Baby?”, and “Are you eating?” Compare her top three to Echo's top three which are, “Hello.”, “I love you.” and “Whatcha doing?”

Now all six phrases are learned from me, the difference is that Echo repeats what I say to him and Kenya repeats what I say to John. We have taught Kenya words, like "Hello", and "I love you". She just seems to prefer phrases from conversations that do not include her. A reminder to always watch what you say around your parrots, because you never know what they might pick up.

No comments:

Post a Comment