Thursday, February 23, 2012

Lake Morton...again

Remember when I said I took over 100 pictures at Lake Morton? Well here are a few more of them. ;)

(As usual, click picture to enbiggen)


We start our picture post with two quiet little Ibis. I know the white one is a White Ibis, the brown patchy one could be a molting chick though he looks a bit big and I am not sure if White Ibis are born white or not.


Two male Ring Neck Ducks and 2 American Coots. Those ducks are so pretty, next to wood ducks I think these guys are some of the prettiest ducks around.


A closer look at a male Ring Neck Duck. See, Pretty!


Mute Swan. This fella was less then a foot away, he just walked right up to me and you could actually hear him thump as he walked he was so darn big. This lasted a whole 30 seconds before....


Uh-oh! This black swan looks a little....


Ticked!!! Remember in the last post I mentioned that black swans were a bit territorial? Like urban guerrillas?


This is what I was talking about. Seriously, the Mute Swans are like 2x the size of the black ones yet the Black Swans bully them something fierce.


More swan fighting. This particular pair of Black Swans were on a rampage. Not very happy swans.


If Ring Necked Ducks are some of the prettiest, then the Muscovy Duck is one of the ugliest ducks ever. Sweet yes but Uuuuugly with a capital U. The Wood Stork behind it isn't to high on the pretty scale either.


This Great Blue Heron has no fear of people. I have a feeling Lots of visitors take his picture. All he does is watch and hold perfectly still.


GBH feathers have such an interesting texture. I have been keeping my eyes peeled for any fallen feathers so I can get a closer look at them.


Grey Swan, I -think- this is a young swan molting into a Black Swan, the red beak is defiantly Black Swan. I don't know if the Black Swans and the Mute Swans can inter-breed though, if they can this could be a cross of some kind.


As the sun began to set the gulls took to the air and bombarded the other birds, steaking the food that was being tossed to them by some human visitors.


Watching Gulls fly is really interesting. They hover and dive like they were trained by the sir force.


When that doesn't work they paddle around like ducks thinking if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. There's what I think is a Turn in there, the one with the pure black head.


It's been a long day, and post, So me and this little white goose are going to curl up and get a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment