Friday, February 17, 2012

Friday Picture Post -or- Sara, Can you name that Bird!

We went back to lake Morton last week and found more birds to stalk us and some even held still for photos. ;) (As always click picture to enbiggen)




The first interesting bird activity we noticed was this Tolouse Goose working a snail out of it's shell. It was pretty cool to watch, the goose was not giving up until it got every last bit of that escargot.


Then we came across this absolutely beautiful Cormorant Anhinga. You can tell it's an Anhinga by it's snake like neck. (See Sara, I listen :P )


We now interrupt your Friday Picture Post with a quick game of...

NAME. THAT. BIRD.(tm) Gull Edition.

So break out that big beautiful birding book (Sara) and give it a go. I found an adult there on the left for you. :D

*Insert Jeopardy music here*

*I am not positive but these might be Ring Billed Gulls. Though my Google-fu may be misleading me.

**Sara had deemed that these shall now be called Ring-billed Gulls. They are more then likely just that but there is always the off chance that we are wrong but dang it we shall pretend we are right until someone proves otherwise.


When I first saw this beautiful guy I thought it was a Snowy Egret. Upon my searches I found that this fella was much to big to be an egret at all so I did a search for a Great White Heron. I was starting to worry that this was not a GWH either because of the green on his face but then I discovered that a GWH's face turns green in mating season. So cool!


One of two pair of Black Swans. I have to say, I know swans are naturally territorial, but the black ones are like urban guerrillas, in comparison to the Mute Swans. And the Mute swans are at least twice their size.


Close up time. I was able to get really close to these guys with out bothering them. They are not as "tame" as the Mutes are but they put up with people fairly well.


A pair of Mute Swans looking very regal as they swim over to see if we have anything to feed them.


It's time for another game of..

NAME. THAT. BIRD.(tm)


I have no clue what these guys are, just that there are A LOT of them all over the lake and they DO NOT have webbed feet. In fact their toes actually look segmented and they look kinda greenish like they are stained with algae. Oh and they almost run on top of the water when they are excited.

*My google-fu is leading me to believe these birds are Coots, and Coots come in many varieties so I am not sure what type of Coot these may be. I will wait for Sara to give me her final say on the matter.

**Sara says these are American Coots. So Coots, yes, they are hundreds of tiny old coots running around Lake Mortan. XD


My favorite picture of the day, a White Pelican paddling off. Away from us and our intrusion into his world.

I took 103 pictures, so I have plenty more to show you guys on Monday. Have a great weekend!

*edits after accidentally tripping over some species while looking up ducks.

** What Sara Said. :P

3 comments:

  1. Birding photo post! :D Okay, let's see here...

    Hee! You do listen. :D The fun thing about anhingas is--watch them when they swim. They ride very low in the water, so usually, all you'll see is their neck and head above the waterline, which adds to the illusion that they're really snakes.

    With the gulls, yes, I think you're right in your guess that they're ring-billed gulls. :) The yellow eyes, grey backs, and black wingtips give it away. I can't be 100%, though, because like I said, I'm not real great with gulls. XD

    Aren't egrets gorgeous, with their breeding plumage? :) The bird you saw is indeed a great white heron, although they're more commonly known as great egrets or great white egrets. Snowy egrets are smaller and have more of a crest for breeding plumage, as opposed to the long feathers on their backs. And yes, they do have green faces during the breeding season. :)

    As for the little grey guys with the funky feet--you are correct! Those are coots. American coots, to be exact. They're kind of fun, not quite ducks, but definitely waterfowl, and yes, they travel in huge flocks.

    Really neat pictures! I'm sorry it took so long to respond; I'll explain more later.

    --Sara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Added your edits. Thank you for backing up my Google-fu. ;)

      I saw an Anhinga swimming this past weekend, but I could not get a good shot of her. :(

      I also missed the "shot of my life" when a GBH flew right to me looking for food. Stupid concrete pole got in my way and I missed it. Stupid pole! >:(

      Delete
  2. Wonderful pics! They remind me on an afternoon we spent in the English Garden in Munich back in the 90s. There were Swans and lots of ducks in all colors (I love ducks), but there was a swan, who was not afraid of people, little Freyja (she was around 4 years old back then), was even able to touch him.
    Think his creado was 'never bite the hands feeding you', heh.

    ReplyDelete