Friday, March 23, 2012

Caught without my camera...again.

This happens far more often then I like, but while sitting on the back porch I saw this amazing little bird. It came and landed on the burn barrel and hopped and twitched its little head so much it should have just fallen off. It was brown with this amazing bronze-orange belly and a white stripe over it's eye. After it flew off I decided to try and find it via google, and I did!


A Carolina Wren. Isn't it beautiful? from the pictures I found their bellies very from a pale yellow to the bronze-orange that I saw. (This one is obviously more yellow) I am not sure if this differs between sexes like say cardinals, or if its just a variation from the norm.

So, I lob this over to our resident wild bird expert. Sara, what do you think?

2 comments:

  1. Wrens are really easy to identify in that they almost all have very short, stiff tails. Carolina Wrens have long tails, for a wren, and they're all held at that same angle as the little guy in your picture there. :) They're also small, and can get very aggressive in defending their territories. Wrens are awesome to have around, because they eat tons of insects.

    But yes, based on your description, I think you pegged it right. :)

    --Sara

    ReplyDelete