Thursday, October 4, 2012

Bird Songs

Bird songs are a little different when you live with a parrot, or in my case, a bunch of parrots. Its not those pretty wild bird songs, though I guess if I could get a tape of them I could probobly hear them echoing off the walls at all hours. ;)

Not long ago, to combat Echo's screaming anytime I left the room, I started singing as I made lunch, washed the dishes...went to the bathroom. It's been working wonderfully. He gets so happy when I sing that he has figured out the first note and likes to try and prompt me into song when he is in the mood to hear it.

It's silly but I sing "My Bonnie lies over the ocean", it's one of the few kid songs that I know all the words to and can sing it with out music and Echo has been singing it back to me lately. Well, kinda. He has a few lines down like the first one, all the "bring back's" and "to me to me's" He will sing those for hours and pay very close attention to me when I sing to him. You can see the gears turning in his head as he tries to figure it all out. This is amusing me much more then it should I think.

I am thinking about "Soft Kitty" next once we are done with this song. it's simple and he should pick it up rather quickly. Anyone have any other suggestions?

2 comments:

  1. This reminds me very much of the documentary on parrots that I taped off of PBS, that featured an Amazon whose owner lived downstairs from an opera singer...and consequently, ended up with an opera-singing Amazon. XD All you need to do is start singing opera-style to him!

    --Sara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can barely sing the kids songs, Opera is out of the question. ;)

      Delete